Re: WIP: default values for function parameters

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: WIP: default values for function parameters
Date: 2008-11-30 17:49:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> There are two ways to fix this, both having some validity:

> 1. We create a second version of pg_get_function_arguments() that produces
> arguments without default values decoration. This is probably the
> technically sound thing to do.

Yes. I think that the argument for allowing parameter names in commands
like ALTER FUNCTION is that the user might consider them part of the
function's identity. This can hardly be claimed for default values.

Also, there's a third possibility: we could revert the decision to allow
pg_dump to depend on pg_get_function_arguments in the first place. That
was really the lazy man's approach to begin with. The more we allow
pg_dump to depend on backend functions that work in a SnapshotNow world,
the more risk we have of producing inconsistent dumps.