Re: BUG #5011: Standby recovery unable to follow timeline change

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: James Bardin <jbardin(at)bu(dot)edu>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5011: Standby recovery unable to follow timeline change
Date: 2009-08-26 15:40:04
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Specifically, I propose this patch instead.

> It looks better, but leaves the door open for WAL insertions for a much
> longer period. Particularly, there's the call to CheckpointGuts(), which
> does a lot of things. Maybe I'm just too paranoid about keeping that
> sanity check as tight as possible...

Well, I'd prefer to go through the LocalSetXLogInsertAllowed/
reset LocalXLogInsertAllowed dance twice rather than have this code
calling InitXLOGAccess directly (and unconditionally, which was
even worse IMHO). But I don't actually see anything wrong with
having CheckpointGuts enabled to write WAL. I could even see that
being *necessary* in some future iteration of the system --- who's
to say that a checkpoint involves adding only one WAL entry?