Re: shared memory leak in 7.0.2?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Pierre Padovani <ppadovan(at)tivoli(dot)com>
Cc: pierre(at)kahuna(dot)versions(dot)com, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: shared memory leak in 7.0.2?
Date: 2000-08-28 17:26:22
Lists: pgsql-sql

Pierre Padovani <ppadovan(at)tivoli(dot)com> writes:
> Here is the current output of that ipc command:

Looks pretty reasonable --- the three shmem segments look to be about
what postgres should be using (I take it you've got -B set to 350 or
so).

> If postgres were to crash for some reason. Would the shared memory be
> left in never never land?

In theory the postmaster should release those segments when it's shut
down, or failing that reuse 'em when it's restarted. We have heard
occasional reports of this failing to happen on some platforms; but
again, unless you're restarting the postmaster on a regular basis that
doesn't seem like it'd be the issue. Anyway, keep an eye on things with
ipcs and we'll see what's going on...