Re: UTF8MatchText

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UTF8MatchText
Date: 2007-05-17 23:45:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Is it legal to follow escape by anything other than _ % or escape?

Certainly, but once you've compared the first byte you can handle any
remaining bytes via the main loop. And in fact the code is already
depending on being able to do that --- the use of CHAREQ rather than
BYTEEQ is just wasted cycles.

> One more thing - I'm thinking of rolling up the bytea matching routines
> as well as the text routines to eliminate all the duplication of logic.

+1, I think, but I wonder why we had the duplication in the first
place. Is there any likelihood that bytea's semantics should diverge
from the text case?