Re: improving basebackup.c's file-reading code

From: Hamid Akhtar <hamid(dot)akhtar(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: improving basebackup.c's file-reading code
Date: 2020-04-29 09:51:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

make installcheck-world: tested, passed
Implements feature: tested, passed
Spec compliant: not tested
Documentation: tested, passed

The idea and the patch looks good to me.

It makes sense to change fread to basebackup_read_file which internally calls pg_pread which is a portable function as opposed to read. As you've mentioned, this is much better for error handling.

I guess it is more of a personal choice, but I would suggest making the while conditions consistent as well. The while loop in the patch @ line 121 conditions over return value of "basebackup_read_file" whereas @ line 177, it has a condition "(len < statbuf->st_size)".

The new status of this patch is: Ready for Committer