Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements 1226

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Alex Hunsaker" <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "ITAGAKI Takahiro" <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements 1226
Date: 2009-01-02 00:28:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Alex Hunsaker" <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> ... So Im going to mark it as
> ready for commmiter.

Has this patch been tested on Windows? (Or more generally, with EXEC_BACKEND?)

The reason I ask is that eyeballing the code suggests a couple of major
problems in that area:

* the startup/shutdown hooks will be installed in the postmaster
process, but the patch expects them to be executed in a child process.
I think nothing will happen.

* in an EXEC_BACKEND situation, we re-execute
process_shared_preload_libraries() when starting a fresh backend
(but not in other kinds of child processes, which is why the other
problem is a problem). This means re-executing the _PG_init function,
which will try to redefine the custom GUC variables, which will fail.
I don't think this is really a bug in this patch per se, it's a bug
in the custom-GUC support; but nonetheless it looks like a problem.