Re: postmaster will not start with stale lockfile but not report why

From: Lee Kindness <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Rudolf Potucek <potucek(at)ucalgary(dot)ca>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org, Lee Kindness <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: postmaster will not start with stale lockfile but not report why
Date: 2002-10-07 15:17:54
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-ports

A pet annoyance with the Linux RPMs... They are shipped with syslog
enabled and postmaster sdtout/stderr redirected to /dev/null. So
unless the user specifically sets up the needed info in
/etc/syslog.conf then they never hear a squeak from PostgreSQL!

I'm by no means an RPM expert, but judging by the installation of
other packages this hopefully can be handled automatically. A suitable
/etc/logrotate.d/postgresql file could be in the RPM and In the
post-install script the following rough steps would take place:

1. Check if /var/log/postgresql is in /etc/syslog.conf, if not add
it:

local0.* /var/log/postgresql

2. Restart syslogd:

/etc/init.d/syslog restart

Obviously there is the added issue of cross distribution file
locations (I'm coming from a Redhat perspective here) - what does the
LSB/FSH say about syslog.conf and logrotate files? Guess i need to
check...

Lamar, would this be easy to do for the RPMs? If you could point me in
the right direction I could take a look...

Thanks, Lee Kindness.