Re: Global temporary tables

From: Philippe BEAUDOIN <phb07(at)apra(dot)asso(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Konstantin Knizhnik <knizhnik(at)garret(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: Global temporary tables
Date: 2019-12-22 17:04:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all,

I am not aware enough in the Postgres internals to give advice about the implementation.

But my feeling is that there is another big interest for this feature: simplify the Oracle to PostgreSQL migration of applications that use global termporary tables. And this is quite common when stored procedures are used. In such a case, we currently need to modify the logic of the code, always implementing an ugly solution (either add CREATE TEMP TABLE statements in the code everywhere it is needed, or use a regular table with additional TRUNCATE statements if we can ensure that only a single connection uses the table at a time).

So, Konstantin and all, Thanks by advance for all that could be done on this feature :-)

Best regards.