pg_tablespace.spclocation column removed in 9.2

From: Pavel Golub <pavel(at)microolap(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_tablespace.spclocation column removed in 9.2
Date: 2012-06-25 05:26:24
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Hello, Pgsql-bugs.

According to the "Moving tablespaces" thread started by Bruce
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-docs/2011-12/msg00003.php
pg_tablespace.spclocation column is removed in the 9.2beta. However
this breaks backward compatibility for a bunch of products, e.g.
pgAdmin, phpPgAdmin, PgMDD etc.

I'm not sure this is the best choice. Because each application with
tablespace support will need additional check now to determine what
way to use for obtaining tablespace location:
pg_get_tablespace_location(oid) or tablespace.spclocation

I'm aware of problems caused by this hard coded column. My proposal is
to convert pg_tablespace to system view may be?

--
With best wishes,
Pavel mailto:pavel(at)gf(dot)microolap(dot)com