Re: Bug #691: CREATE TABLE AS ignores explicit column names with UNION

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: treed(at)kojents(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug #691: CREATE TABLE AS ignores explicit column names with UNION
Date: 2002-06-13 02:11:26
Lists: pgsql-bugs

pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org writes:
> CREATE TABLE AS ignores explicitly specified column names when the query contains a UNION. This is illustrated in the example below.

Good catch! If you need a fix immediately, I think the attached patch
will do the trick. (Line numbers are for current sources, but it should
patch cleanly into 7.2.*) I have not tested it extensively though, so
there might be side-effects...

regards, tom lane

*** src/backend/parser/analyze.c.orig Tue May 28 18:15:42 2002
--- src/backend/parser/analyze.c Wed Jun 12 21:49:56 2002
***************
*** 2212,2219 ****
--- 2212,2227 ----
qry->isBinary = FALSE;
}

+ /*
+ * Any column names from CREATE TABLE AS need to be attached to both the
+ * top level and the leftmost subquery. We do not do this earlier
+ * because we do *not* want the targetnames list to be affected.
+ */
if (intoColNames)
+ {
applyColumnNames(qry->targetList, intoColNames);
+ applyColumnNames(leftmostQuery->targetList, intoColNames);
+ }

/*
* As a first step towards supporting sort clauses that are