Re[2]: [INTERFACES] Sharing Database Connection Among Different CGI scripts writen in different languages

From: "Alexey V(dot) Meledin" <avm(at)webclub(dot)ru>
To: Nicolas Huillard <nhuillard(at)ghs(dot)fr>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re[2]: [INTERFACES] Sharing Database Connection Among Different CGI scripts writen in different languages
Date: 2000-02-22 11:27:57
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi,
Nicolas!

NH> I use Mason for this kind of stuff (www.masonhq.com). Quoting the site :
NH> "Mason is a powerful Perl-based web site development and delivery engine. With Mason you can embed Perl code in your HTML and construct pages from shared, reusable components. "
NH> For your problem, there are many solutions using Mason. The one I use is persistent DB connections, tied to the Apache servers.
NH> There are many benefit of this architecture : components (your scripts) are compiled only once and cached as long as the Apache process lives (no fork, exec, etc). The database connection are not
NH> only persistent in a whole page request, but also for all pages served by an Apache process.
NH> I think you can have a x100 performance improvement between your independent CGI design and this one (not laughing).

NH> Nicolas Huillard

Thanks for answer, but we doesn't use Perl for this. We use C/C++,
PHP, JSP (in future). Many programs are writen in this languages. It's
hard to transfer all to Perl. It's simple to make minor changes in
each script, that uses PostgreSQL.

Idea of Mason is good. But there is a little problem: We haven't our
own Server at ISP. We have only virtual hosting and possibilities they
provide to us.

Some people say that some databases (ORACLE and InterBase) provide
special database connection handlers that I can pass through my
non-concurrent scripts.
Does PostgreSQL has anything like this?

Regards, Alexey V. Meledin
InterForge Developers Group, Saint-Petersburg
look_to: <www.etcompany.ru><www.businessweb.ru>
<www.inplan.spb.ru><www.pia.ru>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
mail_to: <avm(at)webclub(dot)ru><nick_as: <cureman>>>>