Re: dblink crash on PPC

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Mark Wong" <markwkm(at)gmail(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dblink crash on PPC
Date: 2011-05-27 16:35:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Around when did it start failing?

> According to the buildfarm logs the first failure was roughly 1 day
> 10 hours 40 minutes before this post.

See
http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_history.pl?nm=wombat&br=HEAD

The problem here is that wombat has been offline for about a month
before that, so it could have broken anytime in the past month.
It's also not unlikely that the hiatus signals a change in the
underlying hardware or software, which might have been the real
cause. (Mark?)

> Keep in mind that PPC is a platform with weak memory ordering....

grebe, which is also a PPC64 machine, isn't showing the bug. And I just
failed to reproduce the problem on a RHEL6 PPC64 box. About to go try
it on RHEL5, which has a gcc version much closer to what wombat says
it's using, but I'm not very hopeful about that. I think the more
likely thing to be keeping in mind is that Gentoo is a platform with
poor quality control.