Re: Online verification of checksums

From: Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Online verification of checksums
Date: 2019-03-28 16:08:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I have rebased this patch now.

I also fixed the two issues Andres reported, namely a zeroed-out
pageheader and a random LSN. The first is caught be checking for an all-
zero-page in the way PageIsVerified() does. The second is caught by
comparing the upper 32 bits of the LSN as well and demanding that they
are equal. If the LSN is corrupted, the upper 32 bits should be wildly
different to the current checkpoint LSN.

Well, at least that is a stab at a fix; there is a window where the
upper 32 bits could legitimately be different. In order to make that as
small as possible, I update the checkpoint LSN every once in a while.

Am Montag, den 18.03.2019, 21:15 +0100 schrieb Michael Banck:
> I have also added a paragraph to the documentation about possilby
> skipping new or recently updated pages:
>
> + If the cluster is online, pages that have been (re-)written since the last
> + checkpoint will not count as checksum failures if they cannot be read or
> + verified correctly.

I have removed that for now as it seems to be more confusing than
helpful.

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Projektleiter / Senior Berater

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209
Trompeterallee 108, 41189 Mönchengladbach

Unser Umgang mit personenbezogenen Daten unterliegt
folgenden Bestimmungen: https://www.credativ.de/datenschutz

Attachment Content-Type Size
online-verification-of-checksums_V17.patch text/x-patch 17.3 KB