Re: Upgrade 7.0.3 -> 7.1.3 problems!

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Link <dlink(at)soundscan(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Upgrade 7.0.3 -> 7.1.3 problems!
Date: 2002-01-29 19:02:34
Lists: pgsql-general

David Link <dlink(at)soundscan(dot)com> writes:

> postgres$ initdb
> root# /etc/init.d/postgresql start

> An old version of the database format was found.\n

AFAICS that message doesn't appear anywhere in the PG distribution,
so I suppose it must be coming out of the /etc/init.d/postgresql script.
Better look at that script and see what it's unhappy about. A first
guess is that the data directory you initialized with "initdb" is not
the same data directory that the start script is expecting to use.
Check $PGDATA settings and/or -D arguments.

> psql: error while loading shared libraries: psql: undefined symbol:
> PQgetssl

This looks like psql was compiled with SSL support and libpq wasn't.
Are you sure you installed a complete set of compatible RPMs? I'd
say one or the other file wasn't updated.