Fwd: Re[2]: Alter index rename concurrently to

From: Andrey Klychkov <aaklychkov(at)mail(dot)ru>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Fwd: Re[2]: Alter index rename concurrently to
Date: 2018-07-25 11:46:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Понедельник, 23 июля 2018, 18:06 +03:00 от Peter Eisentraut < peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com >:

>You appear to be saying that you think that renaming an index
>concurrently is not safe
No, I didn't say it about renaming indexes.
I tried to say that it does not make sense exactly to rename a table (view, functions) concurrently
(and implement the lower lock level respectively) because probably no one will do this on production.
Because names of that objects are used in application's configuration.
I don't remember any cases I need to do this for tables but for indexes very often.
Renaming indexes is safe for client's applications because their names are not used in texts of SQL queries.
I think it's safe for relations too because, as we know, the database server works with indexes by using identifiers, not names.
Moreover, I tested it.

Ok, Peter, thanks for your answer!

--
Kind regards,