Re: More tzdb fun: POSIXRULES is being deprecated upstream

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: More tzdb fun: POSIXRULES is being deprecated upstream
Date: 2020-06-18 04:26:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> The minimum thing that we have to do, I'd say, is to change the
> documentation to explain what happens if there's no posixrules file.

Here's a proposed patch to do that. To explain this, we more or less
have to fully document the POSIX timezone string format (otherwise
nobody's gonna understand what "M3.2.0,M11.1.0" means). That's something
we've glossed over for many years, and I still feel like it's not
something to explain in-line in section 8.5.3, so I shoved all the gory
details into a new section in Appendix B. To be clear, nothing here is
new behavior, it was just undocumented before.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
document-posix-tz-better.patch text/x-diff 12.1 KB