Re: Multiprocessor performance

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Valentin Puente" <vpuente(at)atc(dot)unican(dot)es>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Multiprocessor performance
Date: 2001-06-05 14:04:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Valentin Puente" <vpuente(at)atc(dot)unican(dot)es> writes:
> Ok...well I'm running this benchmarks in different SMP machines (SGI with 4
> to 8 processors and the results are odd). The best performance is achieved
> with just one backend (1 client). When I try to run more clients the tps
> falls quickly.

What scale factor (-s parameter for pgbench init) are you using for the
benchmark?

At scale factor 1, there's only one "branch" row, so all the
transactions have to update the same row and naturally will spend most
of their time waiting to do so.

You want scale factor >> # of concurrent clients to avoid interlock
effects.