Re: contrib/cube - binary input/output handlers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)heterodb(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: contrib/cube - binary input/output handlers
Date: 2021-03-05 16:41:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)heterodb(dot)com> writes:
> Thanks, the attached patch add cube--1.5 for binary send/recv functions and
> modification of cube type using the new ALTER TYPE.

Hm, that was already superseded by events (112d411fb).
As long as we get this done for v14, we can just treat it
as an add-on to cube 1.5, so here's a quick rebase onto HEAD.

Scanning the code, I have a couple of gripes. I'm not sure it's
a good plan to just send the "header" field raw like that ---
would breaking it into a dimension field and a point bool be
better? In any case, the receive function has to be more careful
than this about accepting only valid header values.

Also, I don't think "offsetof(NDBOX, x[nitems])" is per project
style. It at least used to be true that MSVC couldn't cope
with that, so we prefer

offsetof(NDBOX, x) + nitems * sizeof(whatever)

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
cube-binary-inout-handler.v3.patch text/x-diff 2.5 KB