Re: Re: Cygwin PostgreSQL postmaster abort problem

From: Pete Forman <pete(dot)forman(at)westerngeco(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Cygwin PostgreSQL postmaster abort problem
Date: 2001-01-03 08:46:58
Lists: pgsql-ports

Peter Eisentraut writes:
> I think if Cygwin's strerror() copes with out-of-range errno's,
> then we can just leave of the whole business completely.

It does.

> Well, it's not like I really care, as I obviously don't use Cygwin,
> but dropping support for old OS version just because new ones came
> out is not that cool, unless you can make a really good argument
> that no one in their right mind would use that old version anymore.

Old versions of Cygwin can be made to work but it is just more
effort. A lot of the items to be done are no longer needed. For
example, if you use B20.1 then you need to install your own copy of
libcrypt. The current Cygwin has it as standard.

If PostgreSQL 6 users hit known problems, do we not recommend
upgrading to v7 rather than making patches against v6? The latter can
be done but it is not the preferred choice.
--
Pete Forman -./\.- Disclaimer: This post is originated
WesternGeco -./\.- by myself and does not represent