Re: Daylight Savings Time handling on persistent connections

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Randall Nortman <postgreslists(at)wonderclown(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Daylight Savings Time handling on persistent connections
Date: 2004-10-31 21:14:52
Lists: pgsql-general

Randall Nortman <postgreslists(at)wonderclown(dot)com> writes:
> On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 02:44:51PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Actually, the intended and documented behavior is that it should
>> interpret an ambiguous time as local standard time (e.g., EST not EDT).

> I'm finding it hard to see how either way is likely to generate good
> results in *any* application, much less in a majority of applications.
> So in a way, perhaps the most correct thing to do would be to spit out
> an error if the timestamp is ambiguous. Any application which deals
> with timestamps in anything other than UTC should really be handling
> the disambiguation itself, because the server can't possibly know what
> the application means to do. Not generating an error is likely to
> allow an application bug to go unnoticed, especially if the database
> does not have a unique constraint on timestamps (as mine does).

That line of argument leads directly to the conclusion that we shouldn't
allow timezone-less input strings at all, since it's unlikely that
anyone would code their app to append a timezone spec only during the
two hours a year when it actually matters. And wouldn't you rather have
had the problem pointed out immediately on testing the app, rather than
waiting till 1AM on a fall Sunday morning to find out it's broken?

However, I am not prepared to buy into requiring explicit TZ specs
always... it's just too much of a PITA.

For human users, there would be some value in acting this way, since
it would serve to remind them of the issue only when it actually
matters. Comments anyone?