Re: pg_restore -j

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Scott Mead <scott(dot)lists(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Justin Falk <jfalkmu(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_restore -j
Date: 2010-04-20 16:43:57
Lists: pgsql-admin

Scott Mead <scott(dot)lists(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 2:38 AM, Justin Falk <jfalkmu(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> This results in an error:
>> pg_restore: [custom archiver] dumping a specific TOC data block out of
>> order not supported without ID on this input stream (fseek required)

> I'm pretty sure that you need to use the 8.4 version of pg_dump when you
> create the backup file, then it should work.

While that might be best practice, it's not clear why testing fails to
reproduce the problem, as we found in the other recent thread. In any
case it'd be nice to deliver a more helpful error message, if the
combination really doesn't work in some cases. But we need a
reproducible case to figure out why it's failing.