field sep in psql

From: Ulf Mehlig <umehlig(at)uni-bremen(dot)de>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: field sep in psql
Date: 2000-08-03 11:00:03
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hello out there,

I'm not able to set the field separator in psql, not by "\f", nor by
"-F" (strange thing, I know it worked some months ago):

- [using i386 Linux 2.2.15] ------------------------------------------

$ psql --version
psql (PostgreSQL) 7.0.2
contains readline, history support
[...]

$ psql -F ' '
Welcome to psql, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.
[...]

db=# \f
Field separator is ' '.
db=# select * from something;
xxx | yyy
-----+------------
0 | some_data
1 | other_data
[...]
(17 rows)

Do you have any suggestions? BTW, I think it would be useful to have
an option to separately turn off the "(x rows)" line -- this is hardly
ever useful if you want to export data to another program, but the
table headers sometimes are (so you cannot use "\t"). Equally, in my
opinion there could be an option to switch off the pretty ASCII-art
line separating the table header from the table data. Of course, you
can filter output through a clean-up script (that's what I do as long
as the separator remains '|').

Thank you for your attention,
Ulf

Ulf Mehlig <ulf(dot)mehlig(at)zmt(dot)uni-bremen(dot)de>
Center for Tropical Marine Ecology/ZMT, Bremen, Germany