Re: Logging pg_autovacuum

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Larry Rosenman" <lrosenman(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Logging pg_autovacuum
Date: 2006-04-27 18:53:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Larry Rosenman" <lrosenman(at)pervasive(dot)com> writes:
> I'd like to see a more concrete definition of what we
> want Autovacuum to output and at what levels.

I would argue that what people typically want is

(0) nothing

(1) per-database log messages

or

(2) per-table log messages (including per-database)

The first problem is that (2) is only available at DEBUG2 or below,
which is not good because that also clutters the log with a whole lot of
implementer-level debugging info.

The second problem is that we don't really want to use the global
log_min_messages setting to determine this, because that constrains
your decision about how much chatter you want from ordinary backends.

I suggest that maybe the cleanest solution is to not use log level at
all for this, but to invent a separate "autovacuum_verbosity" setting
that controls how many messages autovac tries to log, using the above
scale. Anything it does try to log can just come out at LOG message
setting.