Re: Index build temp files

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Index build temp files
Date: 2013-01-10 04:02:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Having it USERSET allows different settings for different roles, which
> is useful.

That would still be possible if it were SUSET; you'd just need a
superuser to set it for you (via ALTER ROLE SET, or perhaps a
security-definer wrapper function if you were desperate).

The real question is how necessary is it for unprivileged code to set
temp_tablespaces *for itself*. I doubt that that's all that critical.
I suspect the variable is hardly used in the field at all, given that
it's been there since 8.3 and nobody noticed these issues until
Stephen started poking at it.

Note I am certainly not suggesting that we back-patch any such change.
This would just be for 9.3 and up. We have surely made bigger
incompatible changes than this one, probably in just about every major
release.