Re: Performance on inserts

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jules Bean <jules(at)jellybean(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance on inserts
Date: 2000-08-26 21:09:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Jules Bean <jules(at)jellybean(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
>> Is there any chance you could generate a patch against released 7.0.2
>> to add just this functionality... It would be the kiss of life for my
>> code!

> Will look at it.

I looked at it and decided that I don't want to mess with it. The
BTP_CHAIN logic in 7.0 is so weird and fragile that it's hard to tell
what will happen if we try to split anything but the last page of a
chain of duplicates. The idea I'd had of just dropping in the whole
btree module from current sources doesn't look very practical either;
a lot of changes that span module boundaries would have to be backed out
of it.

My recommendation is to try out current sources (from a nightly snapshot
or CVS). I realize that running a non-released version might make you
uncomfortable, and rightly so; but I believe that current sources are in
pretty good shape right now. In any case, working out any bugs lurking
in current strikes me as a much more profitable activity than trying to
back-patch the old btree code.