Possible to display Unicode symbols in our SGML docs?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Possible to display Unicode symbols in our SGML docs?
Date: 2009-11-21 22:05:08
Lists: pgsql-docs

I'm currently looking at the latest psql-unicode-output patch, which
includes this bit of proposed documentation:

+ Newlines in data are shown using a carriage return symbol
+ (<literal>&#8629;</literal>) in the right-hand margin.
+ Wrapped data uses an ellipsis symbol
+ (<literal>&#8230;</literal>) in the right-hand margin of a
+ wrapped line, and in the left-hand margin of the following
+ continuation line.

Unfortunately this markup seems to be pure speculation on the author's
part:

openjade -wall -wno-unused-param -wno-empty -wfully-tagged -D . -D . -c /usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets/catalog -d stylesheet.dsl -t sgml -i output-html -V html-index postgres.sgml
openjade:ref/psql-ref.sgml:1797:22:E: "8629" is not a character number in the document character set
openjade:ref/psql-ref.sgml:1799:22:E: "8230" is not a character number in the document character set
make: *** [HTML.index] Error 1

Is there a way around that, or should I just delete the attempts
to show the specific symbols?

Note that this is in psql's reference page, which means that anything
we want to do here also has to translate to man-page output. That
might kill the idea even if it would work otherwise.