Re: PG 9.0 release timetable

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 9.0 release timetable
Date: 2010-05-31 15:48:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> writes:
> On Mon, 31 May 2010, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I find myself entirely unimpressed by proposals to make releases
>> according to some rigid schedule that takes no account of whether
>> packaging manpower is actually available.

> How many beta testers out there *rely* on a package to do their testing?

A lot of them --- probably approximately 100% of the Windows population,
for example. People who are capable of working from source are likely
not waiting for beta packages anyway, just using CVS or nightly
snapshots.

> I'm not saying don't try and get packages in place, I'm just saying it
> shouldn't be a requirement to stamp code BETA and create a tar ball ...

There's more work that goes into a beta release than just stamping,
as you should know as well as anyone. Otherwise we might as well call
the nightly snapshots beta releases.