Re: BUG #4291: Inheritance fails on column suppression

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Duprez" <c(dot)duprez(at)libertysurf(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4291: Inheritance fails on column suppression
Date: 2008-07-10 14:34:19
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Duprez" <c(dot)duprez(at)libertysurf(dot)fr> writes:
> Then, I remove th inheritance link by performing an ALTER command :
> ALTER TABLE test2.point NO INHERIT test1.point;
> And then, I restablish the inheritance :
> ALTER TABLE test2.point INHERIT test1.point;
> The problem is that, if now I drop a column from the parent table, the
> column remains in the child table, whereas the inheritance is established :

This is not a bug. Once the child was dis-inherited, all its columns
became locally defined, and they'd stay that way on re-inheritance.
(There is no memory in the system that would allow us to determine that
the attislocal flag should be removed --- that is, we can't tell
this case from the case where column test2 was declared locally in
the original child table definition. It doesn't seem worth adding
still more complexity to the column inheritance state just to cover this.)

> According to the documentation, this should not be the case.

Please state where you think the documentation says that, so we
can fix it.