Re: WIP checksums patch

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WIP checksums patch
Date: 2012-10-01 17:40:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2012-10-01 at 18:14 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> You are missing large parts of the previous thread, giving various
> opinions on what the UI should look like for enabling checksums.

I read through all of the discussion that I could find. There was quite
a lot, so perhaps I have forgotten pieces of it.

But that one section in the docs does look out of date and/or confusing
to me.

I remember there was discussion about a way to ensure that checksums are
set cluster-wide with some kind of special command (perhaps related to
VACUUM) and a magic file to let recovery know whether checksums are set
everywhere or not. That doesn't necessarily conflict with the GUC though
(the GUC could be a way to write checksums lazily, while this new
command could be a way to write checksums eagerly).

If some consensus was reached on the exact user interface, can you
please send me a link?

Regards,
Jeff Davis