Re: CREATE TABLE LIKE

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Patrick Samson <p_samson(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CREATE TABLE LIKE
Date: 2004-03-22 16:21:23
Lists: pgsql-docs

Patrick Samson <p_samson(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> Unlike INHERITS, the new table and inherited table ...
> ^^^^^
> I don't understand this sentence (but english is not
> my language).

It doesn't seem to have been the language of the author of that paragraph,
either :-(

I've cleaned this up to read

Unlike <literal>INHERITS</literal>, the new table and original table
are completely decoupled after creation is complete. Changes to the
original table will not be applied to the new table, and it is not
possible to include data of the new table in scans of the original
table.

and added this to the description of INHERITS, just below:

<para>
Use of <literal>INHERITS</> creates a persistent relationship
between the new child table and its parent table(s). Schema
modifications to the parent(s) normally propagate to children
as well, and by default the data of the child table is included in
scans of the parent(s).
</para>