Chinese database name in URL, can I ?

From: LiuYan 刘研 <lovetide(at)21cn(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Chinese database name in URL, can I ?
Date: 2007-10-23 15:16:38
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

I'm interesting in PostgreSQL these days, I created a database whose name
contains Chinese characters, when I try to connect this database, I got an
error: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: FATAL: database "??pg???" does not
exist

I'm using PostgreSQL 8.2.5 on Windows XP SP2 Simplified Chinese system, and
using postgresql-8.2-506.jdbc4.jar as the jdbc driver.

Here is my test Java program:
<%(at)page pageEncoding="gbk" contentType="text/html" session="false"
import="java.sql.*,java.util.*"%>
<h1>Chinese DatabaseName Test | 中文数据库名测试</h1>
<%
String jdbcDriverName = "org.postgresql.Driver";
String
jdbcURL="jdbc:postgresql://localhost/中文pg数据库?user=root&password=123456";
String jdbcUserName = "root";
String jdbcPassword = "123456";

Connection con = null;
Statement stmt = null;
ResultSet rs = null;
try {
Class.forName (jdbcDriverName);
con = DriverManager.getConnection (jdbcURL, jdbcUserName, jdbcPassword);
stmt = con.createStatement ();
rs = stmt.executeQuery("select version()");
ResultSetMetaData rsmd = rs.getMetaData ();

while (rs.next())
{
out.println (rs.getString(1));
}
rs.close();
stmt.close();
con.close ();
}catch (Exception e) {
out.println (e);
}
%>

and the database environment:
C:\>psql -U root postgres

Type: \copyright for distribution terms
\h for help with SQL commands
\? for help with psql commands
\q to quit

postgres=# \l
数据库列表
名字 | 所有者 | 编码
--------------+--------+-----------
cntestdb | root | EUC_CN
postgres | root | SQL_ASCII
template0 | root | SQL_ASCII
template1 | root | SQL_ASCII
中文pg_utf8 | root | UTF8
中文pg数据库 | root | EUC_CN
(6 rows)

postgres=# \c 中文pg数据库;
You are now connected to database "中文pg数据库".
中文pg数据库=# \dt;
关系列表
模式 | 名字 | 类型 | 所有者
--------+--------------+------+--------
public | serverregion | 表 | root
public | servers | 表 | root
public | 中文表 | 表 | root
(3 rows)

中文pg数据库=# select * from 中文表;
字段1 | 字段2
-------+------------
1 | hello 你好
2 | pg数据库
3 | 用jdbc访问
4 | 中文数据库
5 | 可以吗?
(5 rows)

中文pg数据库=#

I've also tried add '&charSet=GBK' in the jdbcURL, and got the same result.

I know that MySQL can support Chinese database name in jdbc URL, so how can
I use Chinese database name in jdbc URL to connect PostgreSQL?

Thanks!