Re: port _srv.o makefile rules don't observe dependency tracking

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: port _srv.o makefile rules don't observe dependency tracking
Date: 2012-05-01 19:48:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Peter Eisentraut's message of mar may 01 15:30:25 -0400 2012:

> Instead, I thought this could easily be fixed by writing this:
>
> %_srv.o: %.c %.o
> $(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(subst -DFRONTEND,, $(CPPFLAGS)) -c $< -o $@
>
> A bit hacky, but should get quite robust results.

So basically to build the _srv.o file you first need to build the .o?
Since both files need to be built anyway, I don't think this is a
problem.

There's the slight disadvantage that if you say "make -j" you only get
21 concurrent gcc processes instead of 40-some, but I doubt this is a
problem in practice, either.