Re: Error: cannot mix different types of client data

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Colin Beckingham <colbec(at)start(dot)ca>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Error: cannot mix different types of client data
Date: 2012-03-07 14:34:31
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Wed, 2012-03-07 at 09:28 -0500, Colin Beckingham wrote:
> On 03/07/2012 09:10 AM, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> > On Wed, 2012-03-07 at 07:07 -0500, Colin Beckingham wrote:
> >> Houston, we have a problem.
> >> Using 1.15 dev latest pull from git.
> >>
> >> Steps:
> >> 1. connect to postgresql server
> >> 2. select a database but the wrong one (deliberate misstep)
> >> 3. open query builder and enter an sql statement referring to another db
> >> 4. error, no relation 'xxxx' exists, ok
> >> 5. QB menu bar offers dropdown which contains name of currently
> >> connected db and 'new connection'
> >> 6. select 'new connection', dialog box appears
> >> 7. database list offers the db you really need, select it
> >> 8. OK, crash.
> >>

> > Thanks for the report, it should be fixed now.
> >

> Immediate problem has gone, thankyou.
>
> If I am deliberately obstructive and leave the QB open with its two db
> connections, then go back to the main pgadmin3 screen and disconnect the
> database I just connected in QB, database in QB remains connected and
> operational. Is this a contradiction that can lead to issues?

No, it's the standard behaviour. When you launched the query tool, the
browser connection is cloned, so that the query tool and the browser
have different connections. It's really difficult to share a connection
because you cannot execute two different queries on the same connection
at the same time. And sharing connections can bring quite a lot of
issues.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info