Re: "make check" in src/test/isolation is unworkable

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: "make check" in src/test/isolation is unworkable
Date: 2012-02-29 19:33:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On sön, 2011-05-08 at 19:35 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> I believe that the "make check" target in src/test/isolation is
> fundamentally unportable, as is illustrated by the fact that buildfarm
> member coypu is currently choking on it. The reason is that the
> pg_isolation_regress program depends on libpq, and in particular it
> depends on having an *installed* libpq. Anyplace where it appears to
> work, it's because you already installed Postgres, or at least libpq.

I came across this old issue. Unless I'm missing something, there is no
reason why pg_isolation_regress needs to be linked with libpq at all,
and it works fine without it. If we removed the libpq link, then it
would work just like pg_regress and could support "make check".

Apparently, -Wl,--as-needed isn't working too well here.