Re: Manipulating complex types as non-contiguous structures in-memory

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Manipulating complex types as non-contiguous structures in-memory
Date: 2015-02-19 21:32:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Here's an 0.4 version, in which I've written some user docs, refactored
the array-specific code into a more reasonable arrangement, and adjusted
a lot of the built-in array functions to support expanded arrays directly.
This is about as far as I feel a need to take the latter activity, at
least for now; there are a few remaining operations that might be worth
converting but it's not clear they'd really offer much benefit.

I think this is actually now a serious candidate to be committed as-is,
not just a prototype. What we lack though is a clear understanding of
the performance characteristics.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
expanded-arrays-0.4.patch text/x-diff 149.2 KB