Re: BUG #6401: IS DISTINCT FROM improperly compares geomoetric datatypes

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: kenaniah <kenaniah(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #6401: IS DISTINCT FROM improperly compares geomoetric datatypes
Date: 2012-01-19 13:30:44
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Excerpts from Heikki Linnakangas's message of jue ene 19 07:25:36 -0300 2012:

> Frankly that's such a rare corner case that I'm not very enthusiastic
> about fixing it. One idea would be to look up the type's b-tree sort
> operators, and pick the equality operator from there. But point datatype
> doesn't have b-tree sort operators, either, so it wouldn't help in this
> case.

It doesn't have a hash opclass either, which could be used as a fallback
in case there's no btree. Point cannot obviously have a btree opclass
(no inequalities), but a hash one seems possible.

I think the use case of IS NOT DISTINCT FROM for rowtypes in triggers is
a valid one.