Unable to initialize gtk, is DISPLAY set properly?

From: badaveil <badaveil(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Unable to initialize gtk, is DISPLAY set properly?
Date: 2012-01-01 06:14:29
Lists: pgadmin-support

(Newbie here)

1. I successfully installed Ubuntu server 32 bit on my computer.
2. Then I installed PostgreSQL and PgAdmin3, I believed they were
successfully installed.
3. After I typed "pgadmin3" in the terminal, it replied "Unable to
initialize gtk, is DISPLAY set properly?" said gtk was not installed so...
4. I looked up search here and Castet JQ Feb,10,2009 advised "$ export
DISPLAY=:0.0"
5. I typed that command minus $, entered and root(at)server command line came
out so I believe it was successfully installed.
5. After that, I typed "pgadmin3" in the terminal but it still replied
"Unable to initialize gtk, is DISPLAY set properly?"

Please advise