Re: [SQL] install problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Eric J McKeown <ericm(at)palaver(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)hub(dot)org, pgsql-docs(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] install problem
Date: 1999-03-15 15:09:08
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-sql

Eric J McKeown <ericm(at)palaver(dot)net> writes:
> when I attempt to run initdb, I get this message every time:
> Only the unix superuser may initialize a database with a different
> Postgres superuser. (You must be able to create files that belong
> to the specified unix user).

Eric, check the setting of your USER environment variable. It must be
set and set correctly, because that's what initdb looks at (ditto for
the Postgres regression tests, BTW, and perhaps other stuff). At least
on my system, USER is not updated by "su", for example.

> I've checked the FAQ, but it doesn't seem to cover this one.

This oughta be mentioned in the documentation somewhere :-(