Re: Feature request: autosave for Query Tool

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Feature request: autosave for Query Tool
Date: 2011-08-26 20:56:00
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 20:20 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 8:09 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> > Despite the improvements, pgAdmin is still a bit crashy on Mac. I think
> > this will continue to be the case for some releases to come.
>
> Really? I use it every day and don't recall the last time I saw a
> crash that wasn't caused by development code. Crash reports are always
> helpful...

Only boot the Mac to check if my patches work there too, so can't really
say.

And seeing how "mini" is my macmini these days, doing more on it would
be really painful (hey, Core2Duo 1.83GHz doesn't help for sure).

> > In the meantime, it would be useful if we could define an autosave
> > interval for query windows. Currently, losing hours of SQL tinkering
> > work when pgadmin crashes unexpectedly is a fact of life.
> >
> > Ones related to saved files would be saved to their files, and unnamed
> > windows would be saved to /tmp/. I'd picture a single preferences
> > setting, which would set the autosave interval in minutes.
>
> Yes, that would be a nice addition. I'm not sure I'd want it to save
> to the original file though, incase I was intending to save it under
> another name. Probably just have it auto-save to the home directory or
> somewhere less potentially volatile than /tmp, and offer to recover
> that file if it exists the next time the query tool is opened.

Someone else already asked for something like this: auto-open after a
crash.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info