Re: [pgadmin-support] 1.14 beta 3 crashes in Query Browser

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Colin Beckingham <colbec(at)start(dot)ca>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] 1.14 beta 3 crashes in Query Browser
Date: 2011-08-22 19:59:39
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgadmin-support

On Sat, 2011-08-20 at 22:51 +0200, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-08-20 at 17:45 +0200, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> > On Sat, 2011-08-20 at 11:07 -0400, Colin Beckingham wrote:
> > > Opensuse 11.4, kernel 3.0.
> > >
> > > I note that if I begin query construction in the graphical query
> > > designer and click into the text panel to make adjustments, adding for
> > > example a "distinct" clause and then attempting to go back to the
> > > graphical panel causes a crash.
> > >
> > > Of course trying to use distinct in this context is not reasonable,
> > > however the programme does not recover gracefully or prevent the user
> > > from making certain edits.
> > >
> > > The crash is quite severe. I have no access to the screen at all and the
> > > only way out is to CTRL+ALT+DEL, and wait for the timer to expire and
> > > log me out, and then log back in.
> >
> > I was able to reproduce your issue. I have no idea what's going on, but
> > I'm investigating this.
> >
> > Thank you for reporting it.
> >

> So, bug doesn't happen on Windows. I didn't check on Mac OS X, but it's
> present on Linux. The culprit commit is the one that changed the
> wxNotebook into a wxAUINotebook. Not sure yet how we'll fix this.

Seems we have a real issue here. Bug is you can't fire wxMessageBox or
alike when you're in the function fired by a
EVT_AUINOTEBOOK_PAGE_CHANGED. Only on Linux. Why? I have no idea. But
even the wxWidgets auidemo sample has the issue (I have the patch for
those who want to try).

So, my next idea was to remove the wxMessageBox from the function that
calls it, but I don't find a way to do that.

I'm afraid we'll have to replace the wxAuiNotebook with a wxNotebook.

Any objection? Dave especially, since it was your patch?
(http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgadmin3.git;a=commit;h=41545a4aa159a7a579b7c97ba73a605db34453b7)

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info