Re: regress test failed

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: regress test failed
Date: 2011-09-04 16:21:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 09/04/2011 11:31 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I think the real question that needs to be asked here is why there's not
>> a buildfarm member running the tests in Czech locale. And maybe some
>> of the other ones that have been problematic in the past. We should not
>> have to wait for random reports to find out about this.

> Maybe we need a few members that test a large number of locales. (Anyone
> feel like donating resources? I'm currently providing resources for
> seven, which I think is sufficient :-) )

> Or a few volunteers from among existing members that can test lots of
> locales. (My f14 box has 245 utf8 locales, 181 non-utf8 locales and 308
> that don't specify an encoding.

I'm not ready to buy into the position that we should make the
regression tests pass on every last locale definition that anyone can
find. That's probably impossible, and certainly more trouble than it'd
be worth. I suspect there's only a dozen or two that need to get
tested.

But I would suggest that this could be the policy: don't complain about
regression tests failing in a locale unless you're prepared to support a
buildfarm member that tests that locale on a routine basis.