Newbiee Pls help.....

From: woow <ruwanb(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Newbiee Pls help.....
Date: 2011-07-29 15:16:32
Lists: pgsql-general

I have following function expectation is I want to return the items in array
so....I could call this from another function where I could traverse through
the each array element....

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION get_role_id_list_for_type(INTEGER)
RETURNS INTEGER[] AS $$
DECLARE
rolelist INTEGER [];
BEGIN
SELECT INTO rolelist role_id FROM roles WHERE role_type = $1;
RETURN rolelist;
END;
$$ LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

But when I call the function it gives following error......

ERROR: array value must start with "{" or dimension information
CONTEXT: PL/pgSQL function "get_role_id_list_for_type" line 4 at select
into variables

Could someone please help.....thanks so much in advance