Re: Parsing config files in a directory

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parsing config files in a directory
Date: 2009-10-27 17:21:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> writes:
> ... One file per GUC is certainly never going to fly though, it's
> been hard enough getting people to accept going from one file to more than
> one.

One thing that concerns me a bit about the lack of consensus on that
is what will happen if different config-adjustment tools adopt different
philosophies. If Dimitri writes a tool that drops settings into per-GUC
files, and you write one that puts them all in persistent.conf, and
somebody tries to use both those tools, no good will come of it.

If we forgot about the config-dir idea and just had one file that was
meant to be hacked by automated tools, the problem would go away.
However I suspect that that proposal won't fly, so we ought to think
about providing some guidance to tools writers about what to do.
Is there any consensus on how multiple config files actually get used
over in the Apache/etc world?