Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Enable CHECK constraints to be declared NOT VALID

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>, Joshua D(dot) Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Enable CHECK constraints to be declared NOT VALID
Date: 2011-07-18 01:46:10
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Robert Haas's message of dom jul 17 20:36:49 -0400 2011:

> > Does git allow for additional commit fields? That would allow for easy tracking without much additional burden on committers.
>
> I mean, there's git notes, but that's not exactly what we're looking
> for here, and I don't see how it would easy the burden on committers
> anyway, and it doesn't solve the problem of not being able to change
> things after the fact.

Eh, git notes *can* be changed after the fact, and are *not* append
only. And as the committer who started this discussion in the first
place, I don't have any problem with having to edit them separately from
the commit message, which is a tiny portion of the work involved in
figuring out the patch, anyway.

What's not clear to me, is whether they are sent to the remote when you
invoke git push. I'm not clear on whether this needing a separate
command or more arguments to push, or it's just not possible.

> I think this is a clear-cut case of needing some sort of web
> application to manage this. I'd even be willing to help fill in the
> relevant info. But I'm not going to write it myself...

Having a web app would work for me, but a larger job than just using git
notes. So if the notes really work, +1 to them from me.