Ticket 298: bug on pg_hba.conf editor

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Ticket 298: bug on pg_hba.conf editor
Date: 2011-07-16 12:12:57
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi,

I worked a bit this morning on this bug. The editor was made in a way
that invalid configuration lines are not displayed which is wrong
because you can't fix a line if you stored it wrong once.

So I did the change to allow the change of an invalid configuration
line, and that works well.

But I now have many other lines that aren't supposed to appear:

# local DATABASE USER METHOD [OPTIONS]
# host DATABASE USER ADDRESS METHOD [OPTIONS]
# hostssl DATABASE USER ADDRESS METHOD [OPTIONS]
# hostnossl DATABASE USER ADDRESS METHOD [OPTIONS]
# host name, or it is

All are considered comments, and all have a valid first column, so all
are displayed. Which is a bit disturbing because they are part of the
comments in pg_hba.conf, they are not supposed to be "actual" lines.

So, they match our process of identifiying lines, and so they are
displayed. Do you have any idea how we could not display these? I mean,
I can simply add a check on the line string to see if they are equal to
the one of the five strings above, but it seems quite a ugly hack.

Or do we simply choose to not care? we prefer to have the bugfix even if
it means to show some not "actual" config lines?

Another related question: peer, radius are not available in the method.
As we are in beta, I won't add them to 1.14 branch, will I?

PS: current patch attached.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info