Re: Branch 1.14?

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Jasmin Dizdarevic <jasmin(dot)dizdarevic(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Branch 1.14?
Date: 2011-06-15 07:33:16
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Wed, 2011-06-15 at 08:14 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 6:57 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 23:41 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> >> We don't tend to remove the old code as that can lead to painful
> >> amounts of refactoring to make things look right afterwards. If you
> >> feel so inclined though, go ahead and do some cleanup.
> >>

> > I don't see why we should remove old code that still works. That we say
> > we don't "officially" support older versions than 8.2, that's one thing
> > I would understand. Working on dropping code that should work to make
> > sure no one can use it with older versions is something I can't
> > understand.
>
> Well we don't actually know that it does still work, as we haven't
> tested it. I regularly find myself refactoring code for old versions
> of Postgres because I need to add support for a new version, and if
> it's something old like 7.3, it doesn't get tested.

No bug report doesn't mean no bug, but it also means no user pissed.

And when I add new code, I try to check with older releases. Not all of
them, but some. For example when I added 9.1 new features, I tried with
9.0 to see if my refactoring had an impact on 9.0. But I didn't check
all the way to 7.3. And sometimes I even forgot testing on 9.0 (Jasmin
reported some 9.0 bugs, due to 9.1 new features I coded).

> Plus it make the code less readable, and harder to maintain.

Sure, I can't deny that.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info