Re: Branch 1.14?

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Jasmin Dizdarevic <jasmin(dot)dizdarevic(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Branch 1.14?
Date: 2011-06-15 05:57:52
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 23:41 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> We don't tend to remove the old code as that can lead to painful
> amounts of refactoring to make things look right afterwards. If you
> feel so inclined though, go ahead and do some cleanup.

I don't see why we should remove old code that still works. That we say
we don't "officially" support older versions than 8.2, that's one thing
I would understand. Working on dropping code that should work to make
sure no one can use it with older versions is something I can't
understand.

So, -1 for dropping any code, unless we have proof it contains a bug we
don't want to fix because it's on some old unsupported PostgreSQL
release.

(and when I say "-1", I really want to say "-1000000").

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info