First test of the Database Designer

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Luis Ochoa <ziul1979(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: First test of the Database Designer
Date: 2011-06-11 07:36:55
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi,

I tried Luis's repo this morning, and here are the things I've found
that still need some work before reaching the first goal:

* I have an assertion each time I launch pgAdmin2 from your repo:
Debug: ./src/common/cmdline.cpp(446): assert "i != (-1)" failed in
Found(): unknown switch

* I should be able to right click on an empty schema to create a table

* What is the "short name" of a table?

* UI of new table dialog:
* the "Generate Short Name" button should not be there
* focus should be on the first textbox
* OK should be the default button (iow, hitting enter should trigger
it)
* Cancel should behave like any cancel button (iow, hitting esc should
trigger it)

* UI of relationships
* it should be possible to create relationships between existing
columns

* adding a char(n) type doesn't ask for its length

* moreover, the list of datatype seems weird to me... you should list
all available types and when the user choose a type with a length
and/or a precision, it should ask them (it's already like that for
varchar, but not for char, numeric, etc)

* I can't use the del key when I select an object (table and
relationship)

* if I create a relationship between t1 and t2, and then between t2 and
t1, once you start moving one of these tables, the two relationships
appear as just one

* if the user asks for a new design, the sql textbox should be empty too

* UI of relationship contextual menu
* you should only keep one item of "1:1" and "1:M", it's one or the
other, so you must not offer both with a checkbox
* rather than menu items "Foreign Key from Primary Key", and "Foreign
Key from Unique Key", you should have a sub menu entitled "Foreign
Key From", and, for the items in the submenu, you should have
"Primary Key", and "Unique Constraint "+name of each unique
constraint... this way, the user knows quickly which constraint is
used, and could change it quickly... and you have one less dialog

* in a table box, there is a "Indexes" item never used. It should
disappeared.

* I can move a table outside of the drawing area, and I can never get it
back

Even if it's a long list of complaints, I didn't really hit a bug like I
did in the previous GSoC, so that's quite good. I could even draw my
test schema almost completely (almost because Luis's repo doesn't
support yet self referencing table). That test schema always ended with
a crash of pgAdmin. That doesn't happen any more, and it's good. But
it's not good enough to be commitable.

So, Luis, you need to work on this list of items, and fix them. Once
that's done, I'll get another look at your code.

Thanks.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info