Re: thousand unrelated data files in pg_default tablespace

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: thousand unrelated data files in pg_default tablespace
Date: 2010-08-30 17:04:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I found a PostgreSQL 8.3 server (Linux) used for large OLAP where the
> data directory is bloating. There are more than one hundred thousand
> files - 8KB or 0KB long. The filenames are not transformable to names
> via oid2name. Does somebody know about similar bug?

1. 8.3.what?

2. Any signs of distress in the postmaster log? I'm wondering about
being unable to complete checkpoints, or repeated backend crashes that
might cause leakage of temp tables.

3. What's in the files --- do they appear to be tables, indexes, random
temp files from sorts/hashes, or what? pg_filedump might help you here.