Re: Installation questions

From: Josh Williams <joshwilliams(at)ij(dot)net>
To: Joe <joc(at)amerifloodsolutions(dot)com>
Cc: spug(at)postgresql(dot)org, michael(at)amerifloodsolutions(dot)com
Subject: Re: Installation questions
Date: 2011-05-12 03:20:22
Lists: spug

On Wed, 2011-05-11 at 13:18 -0400, Joe wrote:
> > Trigger a reload or restart of Postgres, and that should let you in.
> > What version of Postgres are you running? And in what environment?

> 2) I will be on a Windows 7 Professional in a short time. Right now we
> are working on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Addition. It is way to
> heavy for our needs. We are sending it back for the Professional
> version of Windows 7 and do peer to peer within the windows operating
> environment.

Yeah, so long as Windows lets you throw as much memory as you need at
it, Postgres won't care that much about the edition it's running on.

The reason I asked is that a pg_hba.conf change just requires a
PostgreSQL configuration reload, rather than a restart that'd disrupt
anyone else connected in to the database. But I'm not 100% sure how to
do that on Windows -- they used to have a shortcut in the Start menu,
but I'm not sure the one-click installer changed any of that.

> I will re-run with your suggestions.
>
> Right now we have a total of 4 users, really nothing, but I still wish
> to learn PostgreSQL. One big reason is that I am also a Professional
> Surveyor and Mapper, and I have thoughts that the Survey, Mapping
> community could use the powerful functions a Postgres, especially with
> PostGIS, I am currently climbing that hill also.

Oh cool! PostGIS sounds like it'd be right up your alley, then. It
seems to be increasingly popular in the GIS community, too; things like
OpenStreetMap uses it of course, the FAA recently switched to it, etc.

Good luck!

-- Josh